I have tried making Ven pongal, using Moong dhal and also with Masoor dhal. Both the ways, the taste was excellent ...goes excellent with Coconut chutney , Tomato Thokku or Brinjal Gotsu
Ingredients needed :
- Rice - 1 cup
- Moong dhal or Masoor dhal - 1/2 cup
- Hing powder
For temperring :
- Mustard seeds
- Urid dhal
- Channa dhal
- Black pepper
- Green chilli (chopped finely)
- Ginger (chopped finely)
- Cashews - 10 nos.
- Curry leaves
meanwhile , heat a small pan add ghee and temper it with the given ingredients and set aside..
once the pressure is released , add req. amount of salt + hing powder + tempered ingredients and mix it well ...
- The first picture , I made pongal with moong dhal and had it with Tomato thokku
- second one is I made with Masoor dhal and tried with brinjal gotsu ...
- I usally add salt after cooking rice and dhal ...only then dhal is getting cooked properly ...
Sending this to Pongal feast event ...hosted by Kurunji.